What is a Young Carer?
- Young people under the age of 18;
- Providing care for/looking after a relative at home;
- The duties they take on and help they give is more than someone their age usually does;
- This may have an effect on their school or social life.
Who does a Young Carer look after?
- Mum and/or Dad;
- Or brother, sister or lots of siblings;
- A grandparent;
- Maybe even a neighbour.
Why may somebody be a Young Carer?
- Mental Health difficulties such as depression, bipolar;
- Physical Disabilities;
- Long-term illnesses such as cancer;
- Alcohol or drug issues and addictions;
- Acting as a translator.
Types of Care:
Physical - helping to wash or dress, helping to use a wheelchair;
Practical - cooking, cleaning, shopping, paying bills, getting brothers or sisters up and off to school;
Emotional – supporting family members emotionally – such as keeping the person they care for company, spending time with them.
How do I know?
- There is no one way a Young Carer may act or behave;
- It could be the person sat next to you;
- Or it could be you.
What if I don’t want to tell you?
- FEAR: Some may be scared they’ll let the family down or be taken into care;
- TRUTH: That’s not why I’ve got my role – it’s to provide a space for you to be yourself and leave behind any worries you’ve got;
- Caring for someone does not, in itself, put you in danger or at risk;
- It’s about making your caring role easier.
What is out there for Young Carers?
- Under 14s group - Saturdays in the John Pounds Centre;
- 14+ group - Monday nights in the Carers Centre;
- Annual Young Carers Festival;
- One to ones for more information.
How should I treat a Young Carer?
- Don’t use it against a Young Carer (not that you would);
- But on the same note, don’t go on and on if you do know – respect their privacy;
- Young Carers work really hard for their families - so try to be understanding.
Who can I talk to? If this sounds like you then you can speak to:
- Your Tutor;
- Your Head of House;
- Your contact at school: Mrs E Anders, Mrs Michelle John and Miss Holliday.